It goes without saying that a vast majority of home owners will look for the best home insurance deal in 2016. There are numerous local and national insurance companies hunting for these prospective buyers. However from the customers’ perspective, it’s hard to decide which company to choose.
Companies like StateFarm, Liberty Mutual and Allstate stand out in customer surveys, however you cannot go just by surveys when choosing your insurance. Michelle Allman, a member of Martinez Chamber of Commerce and a highly reputed StateFarm agent says “You don’t always have to pay the full price for your homeowners’ insurance, because most reputed insurance companies will provide opportunities for customers to lower their monthly premiums.” Michelle Allman is one of the leading names in Martinez home owners insurance business, though she caters to the Martinez area, she lists out some of the easy ways by which any homeowner can reduce his or her insurance premiums.
A homeowner signing up for new coverage will be asked to fill in a questionnaire, comprising of a series of questions. This is to determine if the homeowner qualifies for any discounts. However these companies are not obligated to recheck these parameters at the time of renewal, so the onus is on the homeowner to recheck it with the company or his agent at the time of renewal. Michelle also gives the top 6 money saver tips for customers looking to decrease their insurance premiums.
Top 6 Tips For a Cheaper Homeowners’ Insurance:
- Don’t choose policies from different companies. Carrying multiple policies with the same provider can go a long way in decreasing the total premium you pay.
- A good home protection and anti-theft system with advanced alarm may decrease your premiums significantly.
- Build a long standing relationship with your insurer, insurance companies usually find a way to award loyalty.
- Build and maintain a good credit history.
- If you are living in one of those areas that is prone to natural disasters, then disaster-prep your home. In addition to proving you safety it will also help in decreasing the insurance premium.
- Finally boost your deductible. However this is a personal choice, so go with a deductible you are comfortable with.
There are also other possible discounts like newly purchased home discount, renovated home discount, early shopper discount (when you get a quote before your current policy expires) and claim free discount (if you don’t file a claim for a particular period of time). Though you cannot control factors like the location of your house, you can control factors like building a swimming pool, owning a hyper aggressive dog, owning a backyard trampoline and so on. These are considered as risk factors and can increase your premium.
Policies offered by most of the reputed companies cover damages caused due to wind, fire and theft. However, damages caused due to natural disasters like earthquakes and floods are not covered and you will need an add-on policy for these natural disasters if you are in an area prone to those.
Choose the right policy for you after considering all these factors.